While essential oils have been steadily rising in popularity over the the past several years simply for their all-natural, safe, and effective scents, their medicinal benefits can be traced all the way back to ancient Egyptian times where their use has been well-documented for centuries. Essential oils were commonly referred to as “aromatic oils” and used for everything from religious ceremonies to the healing of common, everyday ailments.
Today, we will share with you some of the top health benefits of using essential oils. While these uses are not meant to diagnose or treat any condition and are not a substitute for regular medical care by a licensed physician, many people have found the powers of essential oils to have a significant impact on their health and well-being, inside and out.
Essential oils have remarkable healing properties and can benefit you in areas where traditional, over-the-counter medicines are normally used. Many people, like myself, have been able to replace their entire medicine cabinet and rely solely on essential oils for the treatment of minor, everyday problems such as headaches, muscle aches, digestive upset, skin problems, and more. Let’s take a look at just some of these safe and effective health benefits of essential oils:
- Cuts and Scrapes: Melaleuca, also known as Tea Tree Oil, is a front-line anti-microbial and great at killing nasty germs. Lavender has many components that promote healing and improve the skin’s ability to form smooth scar tissue. Likewise, Frankincense is a potent antiseptic. Any combination of these essential oils can be mixed with a carrier oil and applied directly to an affected area. These essential oils can also have positive effects on acne, dark spots, and blemishes on the face.
- Body Aches and Pains: Everyday aches and pains can be eased with essential oils. For headaches, lavender is a calming and soothing oil that can be combined with peppermint to alleviate stress headaches. Rosemary oil is good for tension headaches. Particular components of rosewood oils, frankincense, and lavender are also great at relieving pain associated with body aches, joint discomfort, and more. Lastly, peppermint, clove, and wintergreen essential oils are great for muscles and can be blended with a carrier oil to create a chemical-free muscle rub.
- Digestive Upset: When you are experiencing digestive problems such as a stomach ache, heartburn, or nausea, your first instinct may be to reach for an antacid, but essential oils have been shown to offer significant relief for a number of digestive issues! For general digestive upset, peppermint oil has a cool, refreshing taste and supports healthy digestion. Additionally, tarragon, anise, and ginger essential oils also offer significant relief from an upset stomach and nausea. For heartburn, lemon essential oils helps to neutralize acids and can help you feel more comfortable.
- Immunity Support: Boosting the immune response system in the body is an essential way to prevent colds, flus, and other illnesses from making you sick. There are a variety of essential oils that can detoxify the body and boost your system’s response to germs and viruses. Lemon oil has excellent detoxifying effects. Likewise, a popular essential oil blend called Thieves (which is a blend of clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, lemon, and rosemary oils) acts as an all around antibacterial that can be either ingested or even used as a household cleaner!
When it comes to fighting off those germs that have already caused your illness, there are many oils that offer support and help shorten the span of your cold or flu symptoms. Clove, peppermint, lavender, oregano, cinnamon, and thyme are among the most popular oils to offer therapeutic effects to fight off an illness.
- Clarity for the Mind, Body, and Soul: Keeping your mind clear, focused, and stress-free is sometimes one of the hardest things for us to do. However, it’s important to find a balance and reduce stress for our overall mental and physical health. There are a variety of essential oils that offer mental and spiritual support, helping you stay grounded, focused, and clear. Chamomile and lavender have long been known for their calming, soothing effects. After a long, bustling day, diffusing either of these oils can do wonders. Sandalwood and frankincense can promote spiritual awareness, while peppermint, lemon, and grapefruit can be uplifting and energizing in their effects.
As you can see, essential oils have a multitude of uses and have many incredible health benefits. Today’s article covers just some of the most common health benefits from the use of quality essential oils. There are so many more things that essential oils can benefit your health with. You can treat an earache, utilize essential oils as a natural, chemical-free sunscreen, use essential oils as a natural, non-habit forming sleep aid, and you can even replace your toothpaste and mouthwash with an essential oil-based remedy! The more we know about essential oils, the more we are finding that the health benefits of using essential oils can be quite literally endless!
We hope you’ve enjoyed today’s article, and happy oiling!